Hampton County Historical Museum
Built in 1878 and housed in the former Hampton Jail. Collections of artifacts and historical materials are found in an old general store, military rooms featuring local veterans, a farm room, genealogy and area history room, plus an exceptional Johnnie Causey Native American Collection. Throughout the year special exhibits and programs are offered. 702 First Street, Hampton SC. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Hampton Museum and Visitors Center
Built in 1892 and housed in the former Bank of Hampton. It contains military artifacts, a children’s room, antique medical equipment, genealogy research services and cemetery information in Hampton County. 99 Elm Street East, Hampton SC. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Hampton Colored School
Built in 1929 and served as the only black school in Hampton County. In 1947 the Hampton Colored High School was built and the school became the lunch room. Now a museum of black history and educational center. 725 Holly Street West, Hampton SC. Listed on South Carolina and National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1907 as the first municipal building in Estill. Later it was used as a medical clinic and jail. It now features exhibits on the history of Estill. 44 Third Street, Estill SC.
Brunson’s Famous Town Hall
Built in 1906 on stilts that provided shade and accessibility for an artesian well beneath the building. Ripley’s “Believe It or Not” cited it as the only octagonal Town Hall in the world built on stilts. It now houses the Brunson Museum. 800 Railroad Avenue, Brunson SC.
Hampton County Courthouse
Built in 1878, the same year Hampton County was formed. The cornerstone was laid by General Wade Hampton III, Governor of South Carolina. Extensive renovations were added and a dedication held in February 2009. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1946 and operated as a movie theatre until 1985. The design was influenced by the Art Deco movement of many theatres when it was built. The theatre was renovated and reopened in 1993 for use by the Hampton County Arts Council as a cultural center featuring plays, musicals, concerts. 109 Lee Avenue, Hampton SC. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
American Legion Hut
Built in 1933 as a meeting hall for Hampton American Legion Post 108. It serves as the meeting place for the American Legion as well as a site for civic and social events. Local workers built the hut supported by funds from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation during the Great Depression. Located at the corner of Hoover Street South and Jackson Avenue West, Hampton SC. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Hampton County Administrative Center (W. H. Mauldin home)
Built circa 1875 by William Harrison Mauldin. For 114 years, three generations of the Mauldin family made this house their home. In November 1989 the home was sold to the Sheppard family. In 1996 it was purchased by Daniel Speights and Alan Runyan and converted into office space for the Speights & Runyan Law firm. In 2010, they donated the house to Hampton County and it is now home of the County’s Administrative Offices.
Gifford Rosenwald School
Built in 1920-21 as the first of four public schools for African Americans in Hampton County. Plans are underway for a complete restoration of the school. Other Rosenwald schools were constructed in the towns of Brunson (1925-26), Estill (1925-26) and Yemassee (1929-1930). 6146 Columbia Highway, Gifford SC. The Gifford school is listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Lawtonville Baptist Church
Organized in 1775 as Pipe Creek Church. It became Lawtonville Church in 1884 and moved to Estill where the present building was erected. The ornate architecture of this Baptist church with its Judeo-Christian icons stands out among other churches and building in Hampton County. 194 East Fourth Street, Estill SC. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Stoney Creek Presbyterian Church
Built in 1832, some planters set aside one acre for construction of a summer chapel in McPhersonville. The chapel was used as a hospital by the Union army and blood stains remain on the floor. Old Pocataligo Road at McPhersonville. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Marine Corps Recruits Train Station
Incoming Marine recruits from the eastern half of the United States traveled by train to receiving barracks in Yemassee and then on to training at Parris Island. Hundreds of thousands of Marine recruits passed through Yemassee during the 50 years the military used the station from 1915-1965. History is recognized in a large mural located across from the Amtrack station.
The John Lawton House
Located on private property. It was built in 1908 in Estill, SC as the new home of John Lawton, owner of Jericho Plantation in the old Lawtonville Community. The house has been continuously inhabited by descendants of John Lawton. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Hattie J. Peeples House
Located on private property. It was built between 1889 and 1893 in Varnville, SC. A brick building located adjacent to the house served as a post office from 1920 to 1964. Hattie J. Peeples served more than 30 years as postmistress. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Oak Grove Plantation
Located on private property. The house was built in 1852 near Brunson, SC by James Cameron Richardson. It served as a stagecoach stop on Augusta to Pocotaligo Road, near the intersection of Orangeburg Road. It is believed General William Sherman spent a night there on his march to Columbia. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Located on private property. The house was built about 1873 near Crocketville , SC by William James Gooding, a farmer who played a locally important role in politics and government. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Gravel Hill Plantation
Located on private property. It was built in 1910 near Garnett SC by the owner, Robert Palmer Huntington. It is a large historic hunting plantation complex that includes eleven historic buildings. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Located on private property. It is known as Black Swamp Plantation Summer House, a historic home located near Garnett, SC. The house evolved from a summer house for nearby Black Swamp Plantation during the period 1800-1865 to a main residence since 1865. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.